Wondering what to look for in a retirement community? You’ve come to the right place! Whether you’re looking for a new home for yourself or a loved one, we can help you decide which features, amenities, and details are most important for senior living. By combining the comforts of home, community engagement, and reliable care, retirement communities are able to provide residents with cozy and supportive new homes. So as you begin researching and touring senior living facilities in your area, check out the list below so that you know what to look for in a retirement community.
What to Look for in a Retirement Community
- Caring, Friendly Staff Members. When you tour the facility, be sure that you observe staff members that are pleasant, polite, and hard-working. You deserve to be surrounded by staff members who are dedicated to your health and happiness.
- A Focus on Health and Safety. Going along with #1, the staff members should always have your health in mind. So as you’re touring facilities look for health and wellness programs, workout rooms, exercise classes, healthy food, access to medical care, and emergency plans. The building should also be very accessible and safe for seniors (limited number of steps, non-slippery floors, etc).
- Delicious Food. It’s important that you’ll enjoy the food. So it’s a good idea to sample some of the food while you are taking a tour. You might also ask other residents how they feel about the meals prepared for them.
- A Busy, Engaged Community. The social calendar should be full of activities and events. As you consider what to look for in a retirement community, think about the hobbies and events you most enjoy. Is there a sewing group? Do residents ever perform music or act in plays? Is there a book club? Finally, find out how engaged the other residents are in community events. The calendar might be brimming with events, but do the other residents participate in them? Be sure to find out.
- Affordable Costs. Retirement communities with charge a base rental rate depending on the floor plan you select and may charge extra for your services package. Other communities offer all-inclusive rates that include rent and services. Be sure to inquire about what is included in your monthly cost when touring the facility and explore how you can pay for assisted living.
- City Events and Attractions. Check out the surrounding city to get an idea of where you might attend group outings, what sorts of events you might attend, and where you might eat out with your family.
- Easy Communication. Take note of how the retirement facility responds when you call to ask them questions or schedule a tour. Are they kind? Do they return your messages quickly? This will be important once you move into the facility because it reflects on the entire staff’s organization, communication, and promptness.
- Location. Location, location, location. Be sure that the facility is conveniently located to whatever is most important to you, whether that’s your daughter’s house, the library, or your favorite BBQ place.
– – – – –
Now that you know what to look for in a retirement community, it’s time to start your search! If you’re looking for a senior living facility in the Midwest, be sure to check out Hearthside Senior Living Place. Our eight senior living facilities are located in Missouri, Arkansas, and Tennessee. If you would like to take a tour of one of our facilities, please click here.