When the weather warms up and the trees begin to bud, many people begin dreaming of their next vacation. Although some seniors give up hope of vacationing in their sunset years due to a lack of energy, medical issues, or financial concerns, these limitations shouldn’t hold you back! Instead of going away, why not take a staycation? A purposeful period of relaxation and leisure at home, staycations are a great way to save money whilst having fun. If you aren’t sure quite what we mean, check out the staycation ideas for seniors below.
Staycation Ideas for Seniors
- Host a themed dinner, such as a luau (with tiki torches and flower necklaces), a fiesta (with a piñata and Mexican cuisine), or a casino night (with card tables and champagne).
- Pretend you’re a tourist and visit your town’s historical landmarks, museums, zoos, gardens, and other attractions. Consider taking a camera to see your city through new eyes.
- Go on a mini shopping spree. Consider visiting some new shopping centers as well, perhaps one in the next town over.
- Treat yourself to a manicure, a massage, or a new hairstyle.
- Spend several hours at the largest and most beautiful park in your area.
- Have a picnic.
- Eat out at a new restaurant.
- Host a barbecue or potluck.
- Play cards or a board game. If you can play the game on a table outdoors – even better! You could also host a game tournament with friends.
- Go bowling or golfing.
- Attend a local event (a play or musical, concert, comedy show, ballet, sports game, author reading, etc.) or go to the movies.
- Set up a campfire, roast hotdogs, cook s’mores, and enjoy the company of your companions.
- Create art. You could take a drawing class, go to a paint-your-own pottery shop, or simply grab some paints and canvases at your local craft store.
- Go swimming at a local pool.
- Host a film festival with friends, perhaps allowing each friend to choose and introduce one of their favorite movies.
- Take a day trip to a nearby hotspot.
- If the weather is nice, grab a lawn chair and read, flip through magazines, or listen to music outside.
What do you think of our staycation ideas for seniors? Without purchasing a pricey plane ticket or booking a hotel, you can have a wonderfully relaxing staycation in the comfort of your own home. For the best experience possible, go “all in” and make the experience quite different from your normal, day-to-day life. To this end, you might consider unplugging (no phone, no e-mail, no TV) and doing basic chores ahead of time (laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping). Finally, schedule the staycation into your schedule like any other vacation so that a pesky errand like a doctor appointment doesn’t interrupt your relaxation.
Good luck and bon voyage!
Are you looking for an assisted living community in Tennessee? If so, be sure to check out Hearthside Senior Living Place, located in Bartlett, Tennessee. We would be happy to schedule a tour for you so that you can explore the community, meet some of the residents, and ask any questions you might have. For more information, please call 901-854-6590. We look forward to meeting you!