Senior Living Community Outings
- Grocery Stores & General Stores. As you might have guessed, seniors are often driven to grocery stores like Dillon’s, Price-Cutter, and Hy-Vee, as well as general stores like Target, Wal-Mart, and Dollar General, so they can pick up food, toiletries, and other miscellaneous items.
- Basic Necessities. All of those basic places that people go to run errands throughout the week are also accessed by people in senior living communities. These might include libraries, banks, pharmacies, and shopping malls. Churches are also frequented by people living in senior living communities.
- Medical Appointments. Although few of us enjoy going to the doctor, we know that it’s necessary for our health and wellbeing. So of course, senior living facilities are happy to transport their residents to medical appointments, whether they’re with general physicians, dentists, optometrists, or audiologists.
- Restaurants & Sweet Shops. Who doesn’t like a night out on the town, a sweet treat, or a delicious brunch? Some of the most popular outings for seniors include trips to restaurants, cafés, buffets, tea houses, diners, and ice cream parlors.
- Special Events. When a special event arises, group outings are scheduled. Seniors might enjoy an evening at the symphony, the theatre, or the ballet. They could attend a jazz concert or a comedy show, watch a matinee at the movie theater, or attend a local sporting event.
- Local Attractions. Every area has its own special perks, which senior living facilities and their residents embrace. For example, most cities have parks, gardens, and museums. Or if you live in a very vibrant and active city like Branson, Missouri, for example, you could visit the theme park Silver Dollar City or take a ride on the Showboat Branson Belle.
Note: The functional level of a senior drives where they are able to go and how often.
When you’re researching senior living facilities, be sure to ask about their outings. How often do they schedule outings? Where do they go? Do the residents get to request specific locations? What sort of vehicle is used for transportation? Be sure that you’re comfortable with the specifics, because once you move in, their protocol for outings will have a big impact on your daily life. Also, don’t be afraid to make specific requests. Your senior living facility would probably be happy to drive you to an art supply shop, a mini golf course, a fabric store, or wherever else your heart desires!
If you’re looking for a senior living facility in the Midwest, be sure to check out Hearthside Senior Living Place. We schedule two outings for our residents each week, and our eight senior living facilities are located in Missouri, Arkansas, and Tennessee. If you would like to take a tour of one of our facilities, please click here.