When you’re considering moving into assisted living, gathering as much information as possible about your potential new home is crucial. What are the best questions to ask about assisted living, and what can you learn from the answers?
Questions to Ask About Assisted Living
Whether you’re gathering information for a loved one or checking out the community that could be your next new home, many questions need to be answered. How can you be sure you’re asking the right ones?
Understanding the costs associated with assisted living is extremely important. Ask yourself these questions:
- Is there an agreement or other literature that summarizes all financial responsibilities and benefits for community residents, and is it available for review?
- What services are covered by what fees? What services are included in the monthly rent, and which are considered “add-ons” that require additional payment?
- Do you have a long-term care policy that could help finance assisted living?
Once you know you’ll be comfortable with your financial commitment, it’s time to consider what it will be like to live in the community you’ve selected. These are great questions for residents as well as community staff:
- What kind of apartments are available? Am I able to live alone, or will I have a roommate?
- Is furniture provided? How about linens or daily hygiene items like toothpaste?
- Is housekeeping included in the rent, or will I need to plan to maintain my own living space?
- Are couples permitted to live together? If I have a pet, can it come with me too?
- Am I allowed to decorate and personalize my new space?
- Am I able to control my thermostat?
Enjoying the Community
It’s good to get the basics figured out, but don’t forget that there’s more to a home than just the basics. Take a little time to learn about the fun parts of the community too:
- What community activities are provided, and how do residents learn about them?
- How does this community support residents with creative hobbies, like arts and crafts?
- Does the community collaborate with outside organizations (like libraries or community centers) to provide programming?
- How are residents encouraged to engage with each other and with staff on a day-to-day basis?
Do you still have questions about assisted living? Call the experts at Hearthside Senior Living, or ask us in person by visiting one of our beautiful communities.
Are you looking for an assisted living community in Tennessee? Check out Hearthside Senior Living in Collierville and Bartlett. Our warm and inviting communities make it easy for seniors to embrace a healthy lifestyle, with home-cooked and restaurant-style meals, exercise classes, and a nurse devoted to residents’ health and wellness. We would be happy to schedule a tour for you so that you can explore the community, speak with the Community Director, meet some of the residents, and ask any questions you might have. To learn more about our amenities and services, please call 901-266-3329 (Bartlett) or 901-854-6590 (Collierville). We look forward to meeting you!