Old age offers many benefits: wisdom, stability, contentment, a greater sense of self . . . As we age, we better understand our priorities, and we’re able to focus on seeking out positive experiences, keeping the big picture in mind. Plus, even as you reach your sunset years, you can stay young at heart with a little initiative. If you want to regain your youthful exuberance, use our tips below to learn how to feel younger.
How to Feel Younger
Fun Is the Name of the Game
Our adult years are filled with work and responsibility, so sometimes fun gets swept to the sidelines. If you want to learn how to feel younger, start by injecting some fun into your life. Do something spontaneous! Be silly, laugh loud, and don’t be afraid to make a fool of yourself. When someone says, “smile!” for a picture, make a crazy face! Buy a ridiculous hat, and wear it to dinner with a straight face. Challenge your friends to a paper airplane contest. If none of these ideas strike your fancy, consider the following options:
- Surprise someone with a random act of kindness.
- Draw, doodle, or color.
- Go to a live music performance.
- Throw a game night.
- Attend a sporting event (bonus points if you paint your face!).
- Go dancing.
- Have a movie marathon.
- Play with your grandchildren.
- Take a day trip.
- Treat yourself to something special (a makeover, flowers, new shoes, etc).
Reminisce About Yesteryear
In a study conducted at Harvard University, researchers found that people placed in an environment that reminded them of their youth experienced improved memory, vision, overall health, and happiness. To create such an environment in your home or retirement community, pull out the movies, music, fashion, games, etc. that you loved when you were young. You could even throw a time capsule party, so that your friends can join in on the fun!
A Healthy Body and Mind
If you want to feel younger, you need to invest in your overall health: body and mind. Good health combines many different aspects of life (fitness, nutrition, mind, social life), so do your best to make sustainable changes across the board. Use these simple tips to get started:
- Get at least eight hours of sleep each night.
- Eat fruits and/or vegetables with every meal.
- Drink more water.
- Spend time outdoors each day.
- Exercise each day (you could walk, dance, swim, etc).
- Practice strength training two to three times a week.
- Stay socially active.
- Join a club, organization, or group.
- Learn something new (a language, photography, guitar, etc).
- Shake up your routine. Novelty stimulates the brain.
You’re only as old as you feel, so make an effort to change your mindset when it comes to age. As Frank Sinatra sang, “Don’t you know that it’s worth every treasure on earth to be young at heart?”
Are you looking for an assisted living community in Tennessee? If so, be sure to check out Hearthside Senior Living Place, located in Bartlett, Tennessee. We would be happy to schedule a tour for you so that you can explore the community, meet some of the residents, and ask any questions you might have. For more information, please call 901-854-6590. We look forward to meeting you!